Eggplant & Herb Salad with Garlic Yogurt Dressing
- 3 medium eggplants, sliced into 2.5cm thick rounds
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 8 large garlic cloves
- 1 cup plant based yogurt
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- 7 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 red chili peppers, finely sliced on the diagonal into rounds
- 1 handful of dill, washed and leaves picked
- 1 handful of tarragon, washed and leaves picked
- 1 handful of basil, washed and leaves picked
- 1 handful hazelnuts, chopped
- black pepper
- sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 250°C or to its highest setting.
- Measure out ¼ cup of olive oil and pour in a large flat bottomed dish. Season generously with salt and pepper, then briefly dip each slice of eggplant into the oil to cover both sides.
- Line two large trays with baking paper and spread out the aubergine slices between them.
- Roast in the oven until golden-brown and completely soft – about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Place the garlic cloves in the small bowl of a food processor with a pinch of salt, the lemon juice and a couple of tablespoons of the plant based yoghurt.
- Blitz for a minute to form a rough paste and then transfer to a medium bowl.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a small saucepan over high heat. Add the garlic and chilli slices, then reduce the heat to medium.
- Fry for about 5 minutes, stirring from time to time to prevent sticking, until the garlic is golden-brown and the chilli is crispy.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the garlic and chilli on to a plate lined with paper towel. Reserve the chilli oil.
- When ready to serve, arrange and overlap the eggplant slices on a platter. Spoon over dollops of the yogurt sauce and sprinkle over the fried chilli and garlic. Scatter with the fresh herbs, hazelnuts and lightly drizzle with some of the chilli oil.