Vegan Lemon Tarts
- The base
- • 2 cups raw almonds
- • 2 cups pitted dates
- • 1 cup shredded coconut
- The lemon filling
- • 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- • 1½ cups full fat coconut cream
- • ⅓ cup rice malt syrup
- • 1 tbs lemon zest
- • 1 tsp powdered agar agar
- • tiny pinch of turmeric (optional: for colour, you shouldn't be able to taste it)
- The base
- • Pulse all the ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor until mixture sticks together. Try not to over blend, there should still be some texture from the almonds.
- • Press mixture evenly into mini tart tins approx 8cm.
- • Chill in the fridge while you make the filling.
- The filling
- • Gently heat all the ingredients, except the agar agar in a small pot on low heat
- • Once heated through whisk in the agar agar
- • Bring mixture to the boil, reduce heat & simmer for a few minutes
- • Allow the mixture to cool a little
- • Pour into bases & chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- • Decorate with fruit or edible flowers
- • Best consumed straight from the fridge
- • Makes approx. 10 tarts 8cm in diameter