Buffalo Chickpea Sandwiches
- Chickpea Patties
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp olive oil + ⅔ cup for pan frying
- ⅔ cup bread crumbs
- 1½ cubes vegan “chicken” bouillon
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp sea salt
- juice of 1 lemon
- ⅔ cup gluten Vegan Buffalo Sauce
- 3 Tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1½ Tbsp cayenne based hot sauce
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- For serving
- 6 vegan sandwich buns romaine or green leaf lettuce
- 2 beefsteak tomatos
- vegan ranch dressing
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, reserving the liquid (aquafaba) in a shallow bowl.
- Mash the chickpeas with 2 Tbsp olive oil until no whole chickpeas are left, but still leaving some chunky pieces.
- Add ⅔ cup bread crumbs, 1½ cubes of vegan chicken bouillon, 2 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp dried thyme, ½ tsp sea salt, and the juice of 1 lemon.
- Mix with a fork or your hands until just combined.
- Sprinkle in ⅔ cup vital wheat gluten flour.
- Knead the dough with your hands until gluten strings form, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add more gluten 1 Tbsp at a time if the dough feels too wet and sticky.
- Form the dough into patties using small handfuls of dough.
- Press the patty into a shape slightly larger than the size of your palm, about ½"-3/4" thick.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together ½ cup flour, 3 Tbsp corn starch, and ¼ sea salt. In a separate shallow bowl, prepare your buffalo sauce by combining 3 Tbsp melted vegan butter, 1½ Tbsp hot sauce, 1 tsp white vinegar, ½ tsp garlic powder, and ¼ tsp cayenne powder.
- Whisk together until smooth.
- In a skillet on medium heat, pour enough olive oil to cover ⅓" of then pan, about ⅔ cup depending on the size of your skillet.
- Working quickly so the oil doesn't burn, coat the chickpea patties in the aquafaba, then dip them into the flour mixture.
- To keep your fingers from becoming too sticky, use a fork to transfer the patty from the aquafaba to the flour, then use a dry hand to sprinkle flour and coat the patty.
- Transfer the battered chickpea patties to the pan with a fork ️